It’s pretty hard to cut out all sugar from your diet isn’t it?! Especially during “Pumpkin Spice Everything” season…lol! I have been working on creating a treat that will satisfy the taste of the season without leaving you feeling guilty.
The good news – I have finally done it!! After coming home from the apple orchards and seeing all of the decadent items for sale, I just had to give this recipe one more try.
Not only did I perfect the bars themselves, I FINALLY got a healthy frosting to work out too. I’m not going to lie, the unhealthy frosting is pretty delicious too – save that one for a batch best shared with friends!
This healthy frosting had been right under my nose all along – it is basically a larger batch of the apple dip we make around here (almost daily)!! So if you go this route, save your frosting in a separate container in the fridge, and use as needed – because it is primarily yogurt based, it can not be left out at room temperature.
- For the Pumpkin Bars :
- 1 cup whole grain wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 whole large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 15oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- Optional "Naughty" Frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. maple extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional "Healthy" Frosting:
- 8 oz. plain or vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie seasoning
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13 pan or muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats, spices, protein powder, and flax seeds. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pumpkin, coconut oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Approximate Macros per bar (without either frosting) :
Per bar : 95 cals, 15g carb, 3g fat, 6g protein