I made these muffins awhile back – because cloudy days are for baking goodies with your kids, right?! Makes sense to me!!
One tip that I have is to make sure your lemons are fresh – the first time I made these mine were slightly over ripe which led to a slightly bitter taste. When I made them again with better lemons it made a world of difference!! After I made these I thought of a few ways to boost up the nutritional value – you could add a scoop of protein powder if you need more protein or a Tbsp of flax seed for added fiber – just adjust your macros accordingly based on the information provided below!! Enjoy 🙂
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, eggs, lemon, vanilla, oil, and applesauce - stir or whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Using a ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If desired - you can make a lemon glaze by combining confectioners' sugar (1 cup) and lemon juice (2 Tbsp).
- MACROS per muffin (without glaze) : 197 calories, 6.4 g fat, 32.4 g carbs, 6.2g protein