Summer is hands down the season for grilling anything and everything and grilling pizza crust is the only way to go!! We have been trying for YEARS to find the perfect homemade pizza and we have finally found it!! Baking the crust in the oven always seems to dry it out or cook it unevenly and it never quite turns out the way we want it too.
I found this recipe in Back to Her Roots amazing cookbook called Chia, Quinoa, Kale Oh My! I LOVE this cookbook for two simple reasons. One, the recipes are amazing and the photography is stunning! And two, there is educational information for each of the superfoods she incorporates throughout the cookbook. If you haven’t invested in this cookbook yet, please do – I can guarantee that you won’t be disappointed!!
Not only was this recipe easy to prepare, but the whole family enjoyed it (which surprised me to be perfectly honest)!! I used my own pesto recipe (Awesome Almond Pesto) which I prepared while I was waiting for the dough to rise. along with the rest of the ingredients. I wasn’t sure what to think of the grapes at first, but they provide a slight sweetness and take the place of a traditional red sauce – the pairing of ingredients was absolutely delicious!! This is a recipe we will for sure be going to again and again!!
- For the Flatbreads:
- 1½ cups warm water
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- For the Pizzas:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup pesto (recipe Fresh, Fit, Life - Awesome Almond Pesto)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked, diced
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- To prepare the flatbreads, mix the water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until bubbly. Mix in 3 cups of flour until well incorporated. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm area for an hour. Once the rising time is over, add the remaining cup of flour, and the salt and olive oil, and mix until well incorporated. Knead the dough (either by hand or using the dough hook of the stand mixer) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until smooth and stretchy. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for an additional 30 minutes. Punch down the dough and divide into four equal-size balls. Stretch out the balls to form flatbreads.
- To prepare the pizzas, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates liberally. Working with two flatbreads at a time, place flat on the grill grates. Close the lid, and let cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the flatbreads begin to puff up and cook. Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil on the uncooked side of the flatbreads, and then flip over, using tongs. Spread one-quarter of the pesto on each flatbread, followed by one-quarter of the chicken, one-quarter of the grapes, and one-quarter of the Parmesan. Close the grill lid and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove the pizzas from the grill and repeat with the remaining two flatbreads.
- *Nutrition Per Flatbread : 423 Calories, 17.7g Fat, 50.8g Carbs, 15.0g Protein
- *Nutrition Per Serving (1/2 Flatbread) : 211.5 Calories, 8.85g Fat, 25.4g Carbs, 7.5g Protein