Eating clean and healthy doesn’t have to be boring and this dish is one way to mix it up!! Let’s face it – we typically have the following items in our fridge at all times : chicken, yogurt, kale, veggies, fruits, etc…..the staples, if you will!! I was in the mood for all of them, however, just not in the form of a salad or a smoothie…again! It must have been fate because I opened up my cookbook right to this amazing recipe!! The original recipe is in the cookbook Chia, Quinoa, Kale, Oh My!: Recipes for 40+ Delicious, Super-Nutritious, Superfoods. It’s amazing…go buy it…like right now!! I make the banana pie smoothie for my girls on a VERY regular basis!!
Back to dinner…very quick and easy too!! Everyone was a proud member of the clean plate club – oh yeah!! Thank goodness because I don’t know if I could have survived leg day without it – eat to perform my friends!!
- 12-13 oz. (1 pkg.) brown rice noodles or whole wheat pasta
- 4 cups kale, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour or cornstarch
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3-4 chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Before draining, line a colander with the kale. Drain the pasta over the kale, and return both the kale and the pasta to the cooking pot, off the heat. The steam from the pasta will continue to wilt the kale. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive and coconut oils in a large skillet and cook the chicken until thoroughly cooked and juice run clear. Add the garlic and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and tapioca flour. Add the mixture to the chicken broth , lower the heat, and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Turn off the heat, slide the pan over to a cool burner, and whisk in the shredded Parmesan until melted. Let rest 5 minutes and then whisk in the Greek yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and kale to the skillet and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
**Modified from recipe in : Chia, Quinoa, Kale, Oh My!