Leave me in an empty studio and I will play around a little bit!! After I completed today’s weekend warrior workout, I had some time to spare before I taught class, so I came up with a leg workout that really got my heart rate up and burned out what little energy my legs had left!!! Ready to give it a go?! The demos are in the video and the full breakdown with modifications is below.
Plyo Power – Leg HIIT Workout
**Set your interval timers to 40 seconds work/10 seconds rest, repeat this circuit 2-3x through.
1. Forward Plyo Jump, Alternating Side Shuffle – Start facing your step or bench. Using your legs jump over the bench landing in a low squat and quickly shuffle around the right side of the bench. Repeat, alternating the side of the bench you shuffle around.
Modification: Instead of jumping over the bench, jump onto the bench and then jump off, landing in a low squat. Alternate shuffles.
2. Weighted Step Up, Knee Drive, Side Kick -R – Hold a weight in your hands and start standing parallel to the bench. Step up onto the step with your left foot and drive your right knee up and back down onto the ground, following with your left foot (back to starting position), then kick your right leg out to the side.
3. Weighted Step Up, Knee Drive, Side Kick -L – Hold a weight in your hands and start standing parallel to the bench. Step up onto the step with your right foot and drive your left knee up and back down onto the ground, following with your right foot (back to starting position), then kick your left leg out to the side.
4. 3x Lateral Jumpover, 3x Knee Drive – Jumpover the step or bench 3x. After the third repetition, add 3x knee drive.
5. Straddle Jump, Waddle – Straddling the step or bench near the back, jump onto it with both feet simultaneously 2x moving forward, waddle back holding a low squat to starting position.
Modification: Straddle the step and step your feet up and down one at a time, moving forward and straddle the step to waddle back to starting.
6. Burpee, Tuck Jump, Lateral Jumpover – Start standing parallel to the step or bench. Perform a burpee and a tuck jump and then jump laterally to clear the bench. Repeat.
Modification: Modify the burpee and eliminate the tuck jump. Step up and over the step instead of jumping laterally to clear it.
7. 2x Curtsy Jumps, Box Jump – Instead of jumping back to a straight lunge, jump back into a curtsy, center, and jump curtsy on the other side, right into a box jump.
Modification : Instead of jumping into a curtsy, step into a curtsy, repeat on the other side and step up onto your step or bench.