Ohhhhhh yeah, I love a good themed workout!! So I thought, why not go 5x5x5 in honor of Cinco de Mayo!! Makes sense, right?! RIGHT!! And because our legs are made up of big fat burning muscles and it is a leg day for me…..well this one is all LEGS!! The full workout with explanation of exercises is listed below – enjoy!!
CINCO DE MAYO (5x5x5)
**Beginner: Perform five reps of each of the five exercises listed and repeat the list of exercises five times through. Add weight where you can, use proper form, and set a timer to see how long it takes you.
**Advanced: Same as above – repeat if you can – (5x5x10)
**CHALLENGE : Because it is May, 5, 2015 (5x5x15)- the absolute challenge would be to perform five reps of all five exercises and repeat the list of exercises fifteen times through!! Are you up for it?!
1. Ninja Jump Tuck, Burpee, Pushup : From a kneeling position, shift your bodyweight, rock back slightly and drive yourself up into a low squat – try not to use your hands if you can. From there drive up into a tuck jump. After landing softly, perform a burpee and pushup if you feel like it.
2. Squat, Weighted Step-up L : Start with feet slightly wider than hip distance apart and toes slightly pointed out. Sit back as if you were about to sit on a chair, making sure your knees don’t go over your toes, and your abs are pulled in tight, chest is lifted. Return to starting position and leading with the left leg step up onto a step, box, bench or elevated surface. Plant your left foot firmly and step your right foot up to meet the left. Step back down and return to starting position.
3. Squat, Weighted Step-up R : Start with feet slightly wider than hip distance apart and toes slightly pointed out. Sit back as if you were about to sit on a chair, making sure your knees don’t go over your toes, and your abs are pulled in tight, chest is lifted. Return to starting position and leading with the right leg step up onto a step, box, bench or elevated surface. Plant your right foot firmly and step your left foot up to meet the right. Step back down and return to starting position.
4. 3x Lateral Jumpover, 3x Knee Drive : Perform 3x lateral jumpovers on a step, Bosu, or elevated surface. After completing the 3rd jumpover, plant your foot firmly on the elevated surface, driving the opposite knee up 3x. Repeat on the other side. (1 FULL rep will consist of 6 total jumpovers and 3 knee drives on each side, 6 in total. Therefore 5 FULL reps will consist of 30 total jumpovers and 15 knee drives on each side, 30 in total)
5. Deadlift, Calf Raise : Make sure your feet are in line with your shoulders, your back is straight, and your core muscles are tight. You should be holding the weight in front of your thighs, with your palms facing down. As you start to lower the weight to the floor, make sure you maintain a flat back by not rounding your spine – stick your butt out, as you lean forward with weights in your hands. As you come back up, squeeze your glutes and abs to help pull you back up to starting position. From there, shift the weight of your body from your heels to your toes and add a calf raise.
I checked my time after each 5 Rounds and here are my scores for this workout :
5x5x5 – time was at 16 minutes and 30 seconds
5x5x10 – time was at 33 minutes and 13 seconds
5x5x15 – my final time for the challenge was 49 minutes and 09 seconds.
Let me know how you did, did you like it, love it, share it – spread the love and find more awesome workouts HERE !!