I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…baking is part of who I am! It’s not even because I want to eat all of the food that I make (although that part is pretty awesome too). It’s the process of creating the food that excites me – I know some people would die before spending time in the kitchen, but I LOVE it! Always have. In a sense, I find baking and/or cooking relaxing….unless it becomes a disaster or something starts on fire…which has happened.
And on grey days like today, it is one of many ways that Layla and I pass them time. We had a chocolate craving today. What else is new, right?! But instead of going all out and making fudgy, gooey, double chocolate cookies like I wanted too, we made a healthier version and turned them into bars. My decision to put them in the pan was really just a matter of convenience. If it suits your fancy, you could totally roll out some cookies instead. Either way your outcome will be pretty BOMB.COM and if you make them before noon, good luck making them last through the day….just sayin 😉
I chose to add protein powder and chocolate chips but either of these items could be omitted if you’d like. Now, that I’m fueled up on this fudgy goodness…let me go get that leg workout filmed!!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup sugar in the raw
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 scoop protein powder
- ½ dark cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed
- ½ dark chocolate pieces or chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Add the flours, powders, baking soda, salt, and flax seed to the wet ingredients. Beat together to combine. Batter may be slightly thick - add a tbsp of water to thin if needed. Stir in chocolate pieces if desired.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.