I have fallen a bit behind on posting my recipes….BUT…I have stuck to preparing one a day out of the Moosewood Cookbook! Yay me!! Haha!!
There just aren’t enough hours in the day sometimes! At any rate, this casserole was our dinner last night and it was A-MAY-ZING!! Just the right amount of spice and a nice layer of cheese on top! Hard to say no to that!! I find it similar to an eggbake.
I reheated it tonight for dinner and served it with a small piece of chicken but I think it would go really well over some quinoa or brown rice. The possibilities are endless!!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 5-6 bell peppers, mix of colors, thinly sliced
- 4-5 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 cups yogurt or sour cream
- handful fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 cups jack or cheddar cheese
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add onions and saute about 5-8 minutes over medium heat, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add peppers, salt, cumin, dried coriander, mustard, black pepper, and cayenne. Sautee another 8-10 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, or until the peppers are very tender. Transfer to the baking pan.
- Beat together the eggs and yogurt or sour cream. Stir in the minced fresh cilantro. Pour this custard over the peppers. Top with slices or shredded cheese. If desired, dust with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until firm in the center and bubbly around the edges. Serve hot with rice and beans and/or warmed tortillas.