This salad is simple and absolutely refreshing! Perfect for this early spring weather we are having and a perfect staple to have as we transition into warmer months ahead!!
Balkan Cucumber Salad
Author: Moosewood Cookbook
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 6 servings
- ½ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 2 large or 4 medium cucumbers
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups yogurt
- 1 or 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp freshly minced mint leaves
- ¼ cup packed finely minced parsley
- 2 scallions, finely minced
- 1-2 Tbsp freshly minced dill (or 1-2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Soak the onion in cold water for about 30 minutes while you get everything else ready. Drain thoroughly and pat dry before adding to the salad.
- Peel (unless they're homegrown or unwaxed, in which case ,don't) the cucumbers, seed them, and cut them into thin rounds. Place them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except walnuts, ad mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top just before serving.