OK! So this one totally threw me for a loop. It caught my attention for the sole fact that it was titled March Hare….and it’s March…it was only fitting of me to try it right?! Plus, I had never heard of a March Hare salad. I am a curious soul so it drew me in hook, line, and sinker!
Now don’t get me wrong…I love cottage cheese. HOWEVER…I have never mixed it with a plethora of vegetables and hard boiled eggs. So this alone made me nervous….BUT I loved it and will definitely make it again.
I think next time I will scoop a cup onto a bed of field greens, or spinach, or even butter lettuce for a nice hearty salad.
- 3 cups cottage cheese, regular or lowfat
- ¼ cup roasted, unsalted, sunflower seeds
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small bell pepper - any color - finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
- Juice from one small lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 hardboiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- ½ Tbsp. dill weed (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and chill.
**Recipe has been modified slightly from the original (The New Moosewood Cookbook)