As I mentioned yesterday, I am going to be making and sharing a different vegetarian recipe every day from The Moosewood Cookbook. I am going to be doing this throughout the month of March. Hence my clever tagline #MoosewoodMarch – I am so cool! LOL!
Obviously I found it best fitting to start with the whole reason I went searching through this cookbook in the first place. I was on a mission to find a curried soup similar to one I tried in a local coffee shop and the good ol’ Moosewood had a Curried Squash & Mushroom Soup that sounded pretty good.
I actually ended up deviating from the original recipe quite a bit (I am horrible at this)…for two reasons. #1 – I wanted to use up some sweet potatoes and carrots and #2 PEANUT BUTTER!! Enough said. Actually the original soup I had yesterday quite obviously contained peanut butter so this one must do the same right?!….again…enough said!!
I really hope you will try this soup and enjoy it as much as I did. Let me break it down like this…I had seconds…maybe even thirds?! I will certainly be making this again – it would pair really nicely with a lightly buttered piece of toast or a sandwich for a light lunch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2½ cups water
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 whole medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1-2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp red curry powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- Optional Garnishes :
- Crushed Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse and poke sweet potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes or until soft (to save on time, either prepare the sweet potatoes ahead of time or proceed with remaining steps while they cook). Set the cooked sweet potatoes aside to cool and remove the skins.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the carrots and cook until tender. Add the soft sweet potatoes, water, and coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender, puree until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and other remaining spices. Saute over medium heat until the onion is very soft - about 8 minutes. Stir in the PB and a little bit of water to help loosen it. Add the mushrooms, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the saute to the sweet potato puree, scraping the skillet to salvage all of the good stuff. Once it is heated through, taste it to adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Serve hot with optional garnishes.
**Modified from the recipe for Curried Squash & Mushroom Soup from The New Moosewood Cookbook