Ah, Valentine’s Day! A day to celebrate love, right?!. I got curious about the history of Valentine’s Day and did a little bit of research – here are a few fun facts I discovered:
- In Victorian times, it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card.
- Retail statistics show that about 3% of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets (sorry Abby….)
- About 1 billion cards are exchanged each year
- Many believe the X symbol became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an X. The X was then kissed to show their sincerity.
- Richard Cadbury produced the first box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in the late 1800’s
- 73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine’s Day are men, while the other 27% are women (Thank you Geoff and Lily :))
- The average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year is 220,000
The complete list can be found here :http://list25.com/25-interesting-facts-valentines-day/1/.
We could have battled the crowds and gone out to eat, however, we usually choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day at home as a family, and this year was no different! Annnnd since we both enjoy being in the kitchen it is fun to work together to make something special.
Lily and I had dessert under control, so Geoff was in charge of planning the main meal. He took Lily to the store to pick up some jumbo shrimp and came home with jumbo shrimp AND lobster tails (YUM!), as well as a beautiful bouquet of flowers that they hand picked! Thanks you two!!
For my fellow wine lovers out there….I have really enjoyed the Apothic line of red wines so far. Apothic Crush was a new one I had never tried before so it was only fitting to save it for Valentine’s Day! Although we should have paired it with red meat instead of seafood, it served its purpose on the Valentine’s Day menu and was quite delicious!
So there we were, jamming out to the 80’s love songs station on Pandora, grilling shrimp, boiling lobster, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way! It’s the little things in life – for me, making dinner with my family and enjoying each others’ company was the perfect way to spend this holiday! I bet you can guess which table setting is Layla’s….lol! #runawayasparagus
Now for the moment you have all been waiting for….what meal would be complete without dessert? Obviously we needed to enjoy some chocolate….in the form of a heart shape cake of course!! This is by no means a healthy recipe….BUT it is a delicious one and was our Valentine’s Day dessert this year!
We decided to frost with an Oreo buttercream frosting and top with crushed Oreos and festive sprinkles! YUM!!
The natives were getting restless so I didn’t get a great picture of the finished product….hey #desserthappens !! I hope you all had fun with your loved ones, had some treats, and were able to relax and enjoy life too!!! xoxo
- 1⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup blended oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray desired pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and water. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and put in oven to bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting as desired.