Confession…I have NEVER made my own granola! I have seriously always wanted to and have just never done it! After perusing some different recipes, looking through my cupboards, and realizing I had a good assortment of items to choose from, I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at granola!
Let’s be honest, granola can contain a variety of pretty much anything…kind of like stir fry, or chili, or cookies….OK back to the granola!
First up, I rounded up the troops….I like to have everything I need ready to go. I like to tell myself that it helps with prep time…BUT…who knows!? In a large bowl, combine the cereals, dates, almonds, brown sugar, flax seed, cinnamon, and salt and set the bowl aside.
In a small saucepan over medium low-heat, combine applesauce, honey, maple syrup, coconut oil, and the extracts. It will look something like this when you start. Not too glamorous, but you get the idea.
Once the sauce heats through and smooths out (it might not get completely smooth due to the applesauce, that is fine), pour it over the cereal mixture in your large bowl and toss to coat. When the mixture is completely coated, transfer it to a large baking sheet, or two small baking sheets, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and spread into a single layer.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or until crunchy and golden brown. Be careful not to overbake. The mixture may still feel soft at the end of 45 minutes – remember it will harden up once removed from oven and set to cool as well.
- 4 cups Multi-Grain Cheerios
- 2 cups whole grain oats
- 4 oz. dates, chopped
- ½ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsp. flax seed
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ Tbsp. maple extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, oats, dates, almonds, brown sugar, flax seed, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine apple sauce, honey, maple syrup, coconut oil, and extracts. Heat and stir until smooth. Pour over mixture in large bowl and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a large greased baking sheet (or two small), and spread into a single layer. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing in airtight container.